Monday, July 28, 2003

Six degrees of Chuck Woolery
I'm not sure I've seen a reality show deal with, well, reality with its subject ever. Sharon Osbourne's cancer wasn't diagnosed during the show's tremendous first season, for instance. But somehow, Naturally Stoned had to deal with the separation between Chuck Woolery and his wife that took place during the show's run. That episode was so awkward since most of the rest of the series was just goofy with some tension (Knudsen's cottage cheese anyone), but nothing really out of the ordinary. Then it ends with reality, and we wouldn't want that with our reality shows.

But what I found a little more interesting was seeing in the credits that some of the graphics for the show were done by someone I had met at the Chicago Tribune years ago while I was still in college. In a weird way, she helped lay down the foundation for me interning there a couple of years later, even though she was long gone by the time I started. Not only that, but I ended up becoming good friends with the girl who had set up that initial meeting at the Trib (we were both editors at the school paper at the time).

No comments: