Saturday, October 01, 2005

The DVR Chronicles
Now that the fall season has started, the new DVR is working overtime actually recording stuff other than Jeopardy and movies. (Eventually I'll have to clear out those old Jeopardy! episodes, save the ones with my some of my colleagues on them. I've already done my taping, so there's no need to watch old episodes as study guides.)
Here's what I've gleaned from some of the newer shows I've tried out:
-- How I Met Your Mother: Now that Friends is off the air, we can have more shows about 20-somethings hanging out and not feel like it's a ripoff. Besides, the bar is less pretentious than the coffee shop. Of course, Willow is the reason I'm watching, and I'm impressed with it, maybe because a lot of it feels familiar; however, I wonder how long the Bob Saget gimmick will work.
-- Everybody Hates Chris: See, they can still do a "family" show that's still hip. Obviously, Chris Rock taking over the Daniel Stern narrator role helps, and who knew he could work relatively clean? What I find funniest is that I last saw the mom on Chappelle's Show on one of the "Keeping It Real …" segments.
-- My Name Is Earl: I like Jason Lee's stuff, even though he seems to play some of the same psycho-type characters each time, including The Incredibles, which I saw on cable this afternoon. The show is still taking time to grow on me, and it doesn't help that it's on against House. (But my DVR can record two things at once, which is huge.)
-- The Office: I recorded it the first week after Earl, but I could never really get into it. I'd like to, but just couldn't.
-- Veronica Mars: I know it's a year old, but I've only caught bits and pieces of it last year, so it's time to watch a show or two. I like Veronica Mars the cute sleuth, not as big a fan of the soap opera stuff (competing boyfriends, etc.). Of course, while I keep fawning over Kristen Bell, in walks Charisma Carpenter and well, that's just not right. On the other hand, the Stonecutters have returned to bring Steve Guttenberg back on TV.

No comments: