Saturday, September 07, 2002

I'm always finding new and different things with my cable that actually please me (although if I had my way, I'd probably have done satellite by now). In this case, it's the expansion of the digital music channels at the end of the dial. They've actually spun off the '80s channel into a separate New Wave channel, which really rocks (although I guess it depends on how much you really want to hear The Smiths, Depeche Mode, etc.). They've also got the Party Favorites channel, which I suppose is just more mainstream dance-pop/hip-hop songs.

I'll admit I'm a product of commercial radio, although I'll also agree most of it today does stink, so it's fun to find other outlets that are still somewhat mainstream yet slightly off the beaten path. That my explain why one of my favorite radio programs is Organic X, which airs Sunday mornings on the local alt-rock station here. It's definitely softer than what normal alt-rock stations usually play, although they'll pluck out some of the "lighter" current hits, but has enough of an eclectic edge to it to make it something out of the ordinary, even for an "alternative" station.

No comments: