Monday, October 28, 2002

Hey, I know you ...
Well, it was an interesting weekend in Chicago/Evanston for my reunion. It really dawned on me early that a lot of people I knew and/or wanted to see probably wouldn't have been there. I did see a handful of old friends -- some by design, some by luck (and not necessarily my graduating class). And I saw some old professors at a reception at the brand spanking new journalism school building, which looks really, really cool. What's amusing is that after five years, people don't look all that much different -- maybe a slight hairstyle change or a bit of a weight change one way or another, but for the most part, we looked the same as we did five years ago. It gets more amusing after 10-20 years, I'd imagine. Most of the good-looking people were still good-looking, the ordinary ones still ordinary, and so on.

While I did have fun with some of the reunion events (despite a really crappy Homecoming game -- the NU offense blows when Tony Stauss is at QB), it was weird seeing lots of the same faces from school that I didn't all that well, but were among the movers and shakers that all seemed to know each other. I'm only slightly connected to that whole network, and I guess it showed what circles I was running during my days at school. The people I knew well at the closing party were all journalism school grads -- I thought I knew more people than that. And heck, there were people that remembered me more than I did them, which is actually somewhat impressive given that I could've rattled off plenty of names of people I saw this weekend who likely had zero idea who I was.

I probably should've collected a few more pictures and e-mail addresses from folks, but oh well. It was still a decent-enough time, even if I wore out my legs and feet walking around all over the place.




No comments: