Monday, February 17, 2003

Pay attention, eh?
I ended up at both Thrashers games this weekend, although both had very disappointing endings. They blew a 2-0 lead and ended up with a 2-2 tie against Tampa Bay. I never realized how exciting overtime can be with the 4-on-4. I was impressed with the crowd, although I was a bit surprised to see so many people actually decide to stick around to watch the Loverboy concert afterwards. I might've stayed, but they were scheduled to do 75-minute set. Excuse me, but they have enough stuff to fill that time?

The next day was a lot more interesting with the Red Wings in town. I wanted to think that there was a small convoy of fans coming down from Michigan to watch the game, but I wonder if there's a big bandwagon effect going on here -- although there is a Atlanta chapter of the Red Wings fan club, so who knows. Philips Arena definitely seemed like the Joe at that point, and it was rocking by the end after the defending champs romped 6-2.

A couple of interesting notes from that game:
-- I got a $10 SRO ticket about two hours before the game but met a handful of guys who paid $40 each for theirs not realizing they were SRO. I think they may have gotten them from a guy in front of me who seemed intent on hoarding tickets with the intent to scalp. Buyer beware for sure.
-- I don't think I'd want to propose marriage in a crowded hockey arena, but to each his own. Unfortunately, there were three guys who pulled it off this weekend. The first guy on Valentine's Day actually proposed, "Will you marry me again?" and the crowd warmed nicely to the older couple. The next day during the Red Wings game, one guy did his thing early in the game, and there was some polite applause. Unfortunately, a second guy did the same thing later in the game, and the crowd actually booed him. Part of me felt sorry for him and his fiancee, but part of me was with the crowd. Seeing it once or twice is cute and all, especially given the time of year, but that third time was just way too much. Even the most sentimental of people might've gotten sick of it, so just imagine the jaded and the lonely in the audience.

No comments: