Monday, May 24, 2004

When in Rome
If Chipper Jones could do it, so could I, so I took in the Rome Braves tonight, who, as I discovered, are a pretty good team, especially on offense. Rome's pitching was OK but nothing spectacular, while Greensboro's starter seemed to be taking aim at the mascot.

The whole park experience was pretty good (pictures may come later), although I learned quickly that Rome isn't all that close to the interstate. Otherwise, the stadium reminded me of a smaller version of Myrtle Beach's stadium, which may not be that surprising given both are very new and are both Braves affiliates.

However, Rome toned down much of the sideshow that I saw in Myrtle Beach last year -- there were a couple of silly races, but otherwise the between-innings entertainment was much like Turner Field. Actually, so was the music, especially the batters' intros. On a related note, it was rather unfortunate that the instrumental part of this song as background music for a between-innings game to win some jewelry.

No comments: