Thursday, June 03, 2004

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I was part of the clusterf*** at Hartsfield-Jackson when flying up to Chicago on Tuesday morning. It's ridiculous when the line for security winds outside. I'm surprised I'm not in any of the photos in the story.

The sad part is that I knew this was going to happen, given that it happened a few weeks ago and that even the local news was predicting it the night before. I left earlier than usual and I got to the airport about 7:50 a.m. for a 9:40 a.m. flight. I got to the gate about 9:15 a.m. It's not good when the people allegedly helping you out keep directing you to the wrong line.

Look, when a bunch of people in a row are carrying small bags, there's a good chance that they've checked in and are trying to find security. Don't direct me in the same direction with the folks with four giant suitcases, OK?

While I got there early, my co-worker who was joining me on the flight didn't realize this was going to happen. Thankfully our flight was delayed for about 30 minutes, or else he would've missed the flight as he got to the gate about 9:45.

Atlanta's setup just asks for trouble -- 18 checkpoints for the entire friggin' airport all in one place. It's a bottleneck waiting to happen. Oddly enough, it seemed like the line was moving reasonably quickly once I figured out where to pick up the line, but just trying to figure that out cost me about 10-20 minutes.

No comments: