Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Some observations and linkage:
-- A letter to the AJC actually brought this up, but the Thrashers have embarked on their latest losing streak after announcing they wouldn't sell opposing teams' jerseys in the arena store and offered an exchange of some other team's sweater for one of those blue jerseys (I think). Karma might be at play. Earl Hickey would be so proud.
-- I suppose when you're now on the outside looking in, you can be a little harsher on the state of journalism these days. That's what Aaron Brown and Ted Koppel are doing here. Interesting stuff, although Koppel seems to think there's actually hope for the business, whereas Brown seems to blame the viewing public. Me, I sometimes wonder why anyone gets into the business when you hear everything is so horrible.
-- And for a little bit of fun, here's a site that's tracking Jack Bauer and poking tons of holes in the continuity of 24 in the process. And of course, it's using Google Maps (Double True).
-- Speaking of Lazy Sunday, somehow real New York bakeries have propelled themselves into the national conscience lately. First, it's the Magnolia Bakery (with all the bomb frostings). Then the Buttercup Bake Shop shows up as a major plot point in How I Met Your Mother -- although the episode in question takes a lot after another movie that also prominently features a scene where baked goods are consumed.
-- One of these days, I might compile a side page or blog with music charts, but for now, here's a link to Blender's list of the 500 Greatest Songs Since You Were Born (i.e. 1980-2005). My ABD teammates and I were playing K-Tel Hell with it on the way back from Michigan after the tournament. Interesting stuff, although obviously tons of questionable choices, but that's what these things are supposed to do. Right now, I've got 143 of the songs on an iPod playlist, with a few more that I never ripped from my CD.

No comments: