Friday, December 06, 2002

I'll be doing some alumni admissions interviews again this year for Northwestern, so I do read over some of the cases regarding affirmative action and admissions with close scrutiny. Michael Kinsley emerges from wherever he's been with a solid argument against the Bakke decision and the current case at Michigan's Law School.

I had my own screams of affirmative action years ago when I thought some of my high school classmates who I thought may have been slightly less deserving than me got into some big-time colleges ahead of myself and one of my friends who was valedictorian and well-credentialed. (That's an odd thing about being Asian. We do face many obstacles of being a "minority" but we're often not considered minorities when talking about poverty/affirmative action/etc.) However, we all should wonder to ourselves whether we would've made some of those schools even if there weren't affirmative action/quotas/etc., not comparing ourselves to the quota-admitted folks. Worry about ourselves, not about others.

Besides, if colleges are trying to create a diverse campus, accepting lots of the same people with the same numbers and activities, where's the diversity? Then again, the whole college admission process is a bit goofy anyway. Something to discuss at a later time after I do the interviews.

No comments: