Thursday, April 17, 2003

I'm still trying to recover a bit physically and mentally from last weekend. Tournaments like this can drain sleep time and just about everything else from you.

What made things worse this week was the fact that we had another round of layoffs as soon as I got back. (I got a call about a staff meeting and the related cuts just an hour after getting back to my apartment Monday afternoon.) While I could debate the merits of the people being let go, all of this makes us that much leaner and casts more doubt as to what our future will be. I am often full of self-doubt and insecurity about what I do, but maybe because I set high (maybe too much so) expectations for myself. But I just wonder if the people seemingly responsible for some our problems (the same that just about every Web site has, mind you), don't seem to be held to higher standards than my co-workers. In fact, while we cut our staff, other areas are getting more people. We all need the money, but it doesn't help things when the people trying to sell us seem to have no idea what they're selling.

Then again, have more ads for products like this, maybe everyone will be back on track soon. It might've been one of the first pop-ups I actually clicked on in a long time. Then again, the utter shock of it was the primary reason for it, and well, that wore out quickly.

No comments: