Saturday, June 21, 2003

The Duke-New Jersey-point guard curse
Considering he was my high school's highest-profile athletic alumnus, it would be very sad if Jay Williams' career is done after breaking his leg in a motorcycle accident. What he was doing with a motorcycle, I'm not sure, especially since Ron Gant and Jeff Kent suffered similar injuries, and they were in supposed violations of their contracts. If I were a Duke point guard with NBA ambitions, I'd be afraid of all motor vehicles. Remember that Bobby Hurley's NBA career was never the same after a near-fatal car accident. But extend it further, and maybe it's just Duke point guards who came from New Jersey Catholic schools. I guess Coach K will be staying from St. Joe's, St. Anthony's, St. Patrick's, Immaculata, Christian Brothers, etc. for the time being.

No comments: