Wednesday, September 24, 2003

Playing catch-up
Guess it's time to do an update, don't you think?

I went over home the weekend, and having the hurricane only alter my flight plans slightly Thursday night, for my 10th high school reunion. Unlike my fifth college one last year, this one was pretty much a bust. In a class of about 180 or so, only six or seven showed up, and only one was someone I actually knew well -- and I was grateful for that. The sad thing was the numbers were about the same for all the other 3s and 8s classes invited for the party. I want to be surprised by the turnout, but I'm not. Oh well, it was nice to see all the impressive changes to the school building, including a kick-ass gym and a bunch of new classrooms; and I did talk to my old quizbowl coach, who was somewhat surprised to see I'm still involved in the game.

Otherwise the trip was pretty quiet, which is the way I wanted it, although with my work schedule, I had to get up at 5 a.m. for my flight back to Atlanta and then work until about 1/3 of the way through the Emmys (instead of my 11 p.m. Sundays I had been pulling).

The award for greatest rotting of your brain goes to ...
Speaking of the Emmys, I guess "it's an honor just to be nominated" is the best way to describe most of the shows I actually like. I think I'd be surprised if something I do like actually wins an award. There seems too many bones thrown out there for the "critical/too-smart-for-their-own-good" audience to get them to care about the Emmys and then pull the rug from under them. That definitely would've been the case had Buffy ever gotten real consideration. Still, the show was entertaining enough but nothing memorable.

My imaginary job
I usually don't talk about fantasy football here since there's enough of it here, but it's interesting to note that in three leagues where I started out 0-2, I pulled out amazingly fraudulent victories, and in my experts league, I remained undefeated thanks in part to Marques Tuiasasopo playing mop-up duty on Monday night. So as much as we all try so hard to put together the best team each week, sometimes it just comes down to blind luck.

No comments: