Thursday, December 11, 2003

Reprieve
I will still be employed after February 6 after all. A few more people opted for the New York position, opening up a spot for me and two others to stay. It's a nights-and-weekends schedule and the workload could be tough with a shorter staff, but I'm still employed with few other changes, so I've got that going for me, which is nice. Although most of us feel it's a stay of execution, and we're probably all polishing our resumes as we speak.

I think yesterday and today were tougher than Tuesday because at least then, there was this feeling that a whole bunch of us were going to go down with the ship. But as more people took the New York option, things were opening up for more people. Instead of six people competing for one spot, it ended up being five for three (one of the limbo six learned his fate yesterday). Better odds, for sure, but there's a different mindset with the results. As one co-worker put it, instead of having one winner, there are two losers.

In the end, we're losing six people as of February 6, maybe sooner. Unfortunately, Alyson is one of the six (and she didn't even have the limbo option). I feel so horrible for her, and now that I've been retained, things could get even more awkward than they already are. With the multitude of issues popping up thanks to the events of the past few days, that's going be one of the toughest to handle.

No comments: