Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Happy Action Fun Time
While everyone else seems to be updating the status of their brackets, I've been helping to pound out the coverage at work. But to get everyone up to speed, I have three of four Final Four teams left (Duke, Georgia Tech and Pitt) only losing Stanford. I always pick a ton of upsets in the first round, and I did hit both of the 12 seeds that advanced (Manhattan was a slam dunk, and surprisingly so was Pacific, given Providence's struggles at the end of the season), but missed another 12 (BYU), not to mention a close call with ETSU, a not-so-close call with Western Michigan, and realizing the Princeton offense only worked for about 25-30 minutes (crashing out with both Air Force and Princeton -- I almost always pick the Ivy League team).

Everyone got hammered with the second round, obviously, but I wished I had picked Xavier. (The Catholic school thing, not to mention not liking Mississippi State.) I even mentioned in the office after the lack of upsets in the first round that we'll get a bunch of big ones in round two. Same thing happened in 2000 -- only four lower seeds advanced after the first round, but we ended up with two eight seeds and a five in the Final Four.

No comments: