Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Buzz, buzz
I got some nice seats (just a couple of rows behind the scouts and media) for Georgia Tech's obliteration of Michigan in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge, although I missed the banner ceremony trying to find decent parking near the arena, which seems impossible when you also mix in regular rush-hour traffic.

The Yellow Jackets moved the ball nicely around the floor, and they were unconscious from the floor, nailing threes left and right. Michigan may be good, but Tech is amazing, especially during a 20-0 run in the first half that brought out my inner Vitale on a couple of sweet shoots.

What's even more interesting is that while there were a bunch of scouts on hand, I can't really see anyone on Tech, as good as they are, be a huge contributor on the NBA level. I can't put my finger on it, and I hope I'm wrong, but instead I see a bunch of solid players who work well as a team as opposed to individuals.

Oh yeah, there were some "A-C-C" and "Big Ten sucks" chants during the game, but even Big Ten followers could tell you that the ACC was going to clean up. Remember, Duke and Wake drew big games in Michigan State and Illinois, respectively. But North Carolina and Tech, among the top 10 in the country got matched up with Indiana and Michigan, respectively, but both would've been good games about 10 years ago. (At least Northwestern didn't draw Florida State again, and Virginia is at least interesting.) In fact, during one of the preseason tournaments, the ESPN guys flashed the preseason first team All-ACC and All-Big Ten squads -- it was no contest for the ACC. They also matched the ACC second and third teams with the Big Ten first team, and it was still no contest.

No comments: