Monday, June 13, 2005

The hardcore nostalgia gap closes in
If a nationally-known retro radio show can have a '90s edition, I suppose we can also be very nostalgic for a wrestling organization that reached its peak about 7-8 years ago and where many of its members are still very active today.

Yes, I ordered the ECW PPV, the first time I've watched a wrestling PPV, never mind order one, in a long while. But when I heard about this event, I was more than happy to find out I was going to be off that evening so I could watch it -- and had JD over to see the festivities. It seemed like the "olden days" of oh, 1996. Not only was the action pretty solid, a handful of the shoot interviews were spectacular, which then prompted the crowd to react in kind.

It was a great show, but I also hope that it lives up to the name of "One Night Stand." While I enjoyed watching the old guys back for another go-around, it seems like it's best appreciated now in short bursts instead of trying to spin it off into a real organization again. I think it'll be hard to match the emotion and passion of this revival on a regular basis. (Plus, you can't be having the Oscar-like "those we lost" montage on regularly, can we?)

Besides, it would take a lot to get some of these guys back into shape, because honestly, some of them just didn't look all that good. On the other hand, bringing these guys back at this time worked better for the combined nostalgia/revival/reunion aspect than the gimmick battle royale at Wrestlemania a few years back.

But it was nice to be "hardcore" for a few hours at least. Now where's that cheese grater?

No comments: