Sunday, June 12, 2005

The music update
A few disjointed thoughts only connected by musical notes:
-- While at Friday's Braves game, I passed by this guy, which was only a surprise because he was in the upper deck with a few kids and other friends. But no one seemed to bother him, so maybe being up there was a good thing.
-- I'm now part of the iPod world, and now I'm wondering how quickly I'll fill up the 20GB model I've got.

A couple of more notes on the JACK radio format that's now taken hold in Chicago and New York (replacing the beloved WCBS-FM):
-- Eric Zorn over at the Chicago Tribune has a somewhat ambivalent take on the loss of the oldies station there. I guess like Atlanta, the "good times and great oldies" turned into something a bit repetitive. Nuking the format isn't the way to go, but that's the way a lot of radio types think.
-- Speaking of JACK (which in theory is an OK idea), there's now JILL radio? So what exactly makes that broader than a lite-FM station? At least HANK-FM makes some sort of sense -- all country, all time periods.
-- And linking this back to my new iPod -- if JACK were really like my iPod on shuffle, it wouldn't just be classic rock + pop/alternative rock. I'm as middlebrow and mainstream as they get, but even I have a bit more eclectic tastes than even a JACK station can muster. Just thinking of a few songs off the top of my head -- would a station play Lil Jon, Yes, Morrissey, Cameo and a mashup of In Da Club and the Benny Hill theme song in a row?

Finally, I guess I could've easily predicted a very rainy weekend, given it was Music Midtown, which was moved from early May to early June to avoid weather. Whoops.

No comments: