Saturday, July 30, 2005

Let's review, shall we
Finally got myself to the movies since Star Wars and think I picked out a couple of decent flicks to watch:

-- Batman Begins: It's probably not saying a ton that Christian Bale is probably the best of the movie Bruce Waynes, but then again, he's approaching it from a much different angle than the other guys. This one redeemed the franchise, and it helps to have six Oscar nominated actors involved (plus Bale, who should be nominated sooner rather than later). Oh yeah, the future Mrs. Cruise was a bit overmatched in the movie, but she picked up the nipple controversy from previous films (thanks Craig for that one).

-- Wedding Crashers: Hilarious film, especially in relation to all the matrimonial stuff going around me lately. (BTW, congrats to JD on his swift engagement.) It's a good cross between a smarter goofball guy flick and a chick flick (wedding is in the title, remember). And oddly enough, Sports Guy's review probably sums up most of my impressions of the film.
On a side note, at least I'm not the only who actually fell for Rachel McAdams in the movie -- Sports Guy praises her, as does Tyler. But I think it's the brunette look that did it, since she seemed, well, plastic in Mean Girls.

But wait, there's more. While the rest of y'all were reading the latest Potter book, I plowed through a couple of quirky books (but not taking advantage of those usual discounts I usually encounter):
-- Committed: Fantasy football is a big part of my job, but the author decided to quit his job for nearly a year to be an FF junkie. It's interesting to see some of my colleagues and competitors interviewed to give a good overview of the business and hobby, but it further reinforced the idea that reading about other people's fantasy football teams can be a most torturous experience.

-- Superstud: Sometimes poignant, sometimes heartbreaking and mostly hilarious real-life account of a geek's often poor attempts at love and relationships. And since the geek in question is Paul Feig, the creator of Freaks and Geeks, you know the story was going to be told the right way. I suppose it helps that I could probably relate to it way too well, but that's the breaks.

No comments: