Tuesday, July 31, 2007

On the road

I'm now part of the insane travel week, starting with Vegas for the next 24 hours or so for one conference before heading to Miami for another one the rest of the week. I thought I was going to encounter luggage issues with the way Continental handles its online bag drop, but all was good since I could check into my hotel while waiting for my bags.

Before I left, I did get to see The Simpsons Movie, and my feelings about it are much like how I feel about the show over the years -- it was a thrill to watch for most of the movie (the animation was impressive), but as it dragged on toward the end, it wasn't as much fun as I hoped it to be. But still reasonably satisfying as a whole.

I also got my first taste of Ring of Honor wrestling as it was playing literally a couple of streets down from my house at a driving range/mini golf/tennis court/roller hockey complex. In fact, they just plopped a wrestling ring in the middle of the roller hockey rink and added some seats around it and voila, instant show.

Not a bad show overall, as it was the tail end of special tournament (although one of the wrestlers in the tournament accidentally broke the trophy during his ring entrance; naturally he lost the match), and I did get to see most of the roster in some form. The guys all seemed to work hard, and there was decent action, even if I hadn't heard of any of them going in. In fact, the final match of the tournament between El Generico (great name for a skinny white dude with a Mexican wrestling mask -- the generic luchador) and Claudio Castagnoli (supposedly a Swiss guy who drew a lot of Fonzie "Ayyy" chants) was a lot of fun with a ton of near falls and high spots.

No comments: