Sunday, August 05, 2007

Conventional wisdom

I guess I could consider my Vegas/Miami conference doubleheader a success. I got some business done in Vegas for FSTA with limited gambling damage (although I didn't get a chance to play a poker tournament while in town), and did a fair share of both networking and sightseeing in Miami for AAJA. Plus, it was good to reconnect with all sorts of people at AAJA after missing the past couple of conventions as well as finding even more of my fellow Wildcats.

I got a couple of trips to South Beach in, including a great dinner at The Setai on Friday night with an awesome deal for Miami Spice Restaurant month. But unlike most of my friends' dinner trips around the area, we got some amazing service, which I never really considered a whole lot until now.

The Miami leg of the trip also involved catching a preview of Finishing the Game, the latest Justin Lin film. It was a pretty funny movie in the vein of This Is Spinal Tap, but it was uneven and oddly paced. Still, I'd be interested in seeing it again when it comes out in the fall. However, I don't think it will generate the same buzz as Better Luck Tomorrow did after it was screened at the 2002 convention in Dallas.

Some pictures should be posted up sooner or later -- or they'll just be on Facebook, my newest form of Web crack.

No comments: