Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Holy cow!

Just when I do a little obit scouring, now comes the passing of Phil Rizzuto, a fixture of my youth watching Yankees games and just New York area TV in general. His folksy way of calling games made him a beloved figure for Yankees fans for a number of years, and his Italian Catholic background made him a popular figure around my church and grammar school growing up. In fact, I remember signing a petition in second or third grade trying to get the Scooter into the Hall of Fame -- which would happen a number of years later (in 1994).

In a way, I knew the end was near soon when he wasn't at Old Timers Day, but instead sent a letter that was read near the end of the introductions. But while he hadn't been part of the Yankees broadcast crew for about a decade, his aura still loomed large over games.

To say goodbye, here's one of his Money Store ads, as well as an in-game promo for a mid-'80s Yankees game:

No comments: