Monday, March 31, 2003

And then there were four ...
I guess the Final Four will be full of star power, although I wonder if NBA scouts will discount some of this tournament stuff when it comes to draft time. It always seems like guys who do well in college on the biggest stage actually have a strike against them when they hit the pros. Mateen Cleeves, Danny Manning, Christian Laettner, Khalid El-Amin -- all have been in the pros, but none could be considered superstars. And think of Anderson Hunt and Scotty Thurman -- the Final Four MVPs from those team were the only one not to have much of a pro career. It's like winning is a detriment to NBA success -- me first is good, team first is not. In scouting speak -- a "winner" is a player (usually white) lacking in talent who finds his way to winning games or putting up numbers. An "athlete" is often an African-American player with lots of skill but not much smarts.

Back to my bracket, I predicted earlier that Marquette might make the Final Four after I predicted them to lose in the first round. However, I guess I was right in getting a No. 3 seeded Catholic school into the Final Four. I just picked the wrong one (Xavier instead of Marquette.) I did get Syracuse right, so I feel good about that. Like everyone else, I got burned by Kentucky and Arizona losing. BTW, do you think someone over at CBS decided to switch out Pontiac ads to the Al McGuire "Holy Mackrel" one in the first spot after the game ended?

No comments: