Tuesday, March 04, 2003

Unholy matrimony, international edition
Someone got here looking for this story earlier, so might as well give them what they want. I suppose it's not a surprise that Sergei Fedorov was actually married to Anna Kournikova. The whole thing sorted backstory just seems a bit silly, but something that's perfect for a soap opera. The Reuters story that's linked up here is a trip to read, especially compared to the staid AP story that came through later in the day. The best line talks about Sergei, Anna and Pavel Bure in a "torrid Russian love triangle" (hey, could that be the perfect comeback song for New Order?).

Unholy matrimony, Rupert edition
And speaking of weddings, I wasted a couple of hours (give or take the fast forward time on the VCR) to catch Married by America only to see the one guy I know only get a few minutes of screen time introducing himself. I guess if I didn't know him, he'd be a likeable guy, but whatever.

The rest of the show was another half-witted beauty pageant/American Idol/Are You Hot? plus some Meet My Folks interrogation thrown in for good measure. Nothing really remarkable other than the odd panel of family/friends picking out the finalists us ham 'n' eggers (thanks Bobby Heenan for that) get to choose. There was a great Longisland dad doing the great brusk New Yorker on the guys, and the queen of a roommate of the blonde bartender who was just over the top.

How much more I'll watch after the first couple of episodes, I don't know, although I felt like jamming sharp objects into my eyes from time to time, or as Bill Simmons likes to say "lighting myself on fire." On the other hand, it was interesting reading this sequestering and rehearsal note from The Smoking Gun. Thankfully, this note went out last month. I didn't think there's enough on this show to warrant eight weeks of TV time.

No comments: