Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Final Oscar thoughts
All of my usual suspects chimed in on the Michael Moore stuff -- it was just too easy. And everyone seems to have the right idea on it: You knew he was going to do something like this. I would've been surprised if he didn't, actually. And it was somewhat amusing. But as Greg mentioned somewhere, even if you do agree with him, his grandstanding tactics often outstrip any good he does (or attempts to do). I just wonder how many of those other nominees on stage knew what was coming up. Then again, he did it the night before at the Independent Spirit Awards, so maybe they did.

As for my picks, I finished an average 11 for 25, although some hedging on points/bets got me a decent showing in the Squirrel's Oscar pool, which was different than Yahoo! game. A couple of middle-of-the-pack finishes (including a tie with AML -- knowing the way we can be picking football games, it's not even a surprise we would have the same score) and a win in Mark's group, which probably showed how mediocre all of us were in making picks if I'm winning there.

Oh yeah, and damned if I wasn't going to forget the announcement of the Razzies winners, which seemed to be a real pile-on for Madonna. I only say that because it was a knee-jerk name recognition thing that got her Worst Supporting Actress for Die Another Day -- which was more a gratutious role than anything else. Besides, if she was going to get a Razzie, it should've been for Worst Song for the theme to the Bond film. After some classic Bond theme songs, we get the outtakes from "Music". All we were missing there was Ali G.


No comments: