Sunday, March 30, 2003

The more I think about it, the more I'm not surprised Fox News is winning in the ratings during the war. This war seems to be so much about politics that it can only help Fox News, which has built its audience based along a certain point of view. (On a similar note, I now think the Michael Moore speech was hard to stomach because it started ranting about the 2000 election. The pope/Dixie Chicks line was great, but when you're still whining about the election, it's hard to get support for whatever you say.)

What we're learning is that CNN is good at getting viewers when something happens that actually has a middle ground or isn't politcially motivated. If there's something where you can scream and yell either for or against Bush right away when it happens, Fox News has it covered. When you really can't do that (Bush didn't mess with those shuttle tiles, as far as we know), CNN gets the edge. It's really sad that today's climate of debate (at least in the major media) seems to forbid finding a middle ground. I am very conflicted as to my feelings about the war, and unfortunately the very vocal extremes of the debate turn me off to their side.

And with that said, I'm still waiting for The Onion headline: "Critics complain The Weather Channel has pro-hurricane bias"

No comments: