Sunday, August 10, 2003

Couldn't it have been called American Pie Pi?
Well I did cave and see American Wedding, mainly because I've been a sucker for the whole series and that Alyson Hannigan actually moves to the forefront (despite a not-so flattering photo on the movie poster), or so it seems.

They probably could've called it Stifler: The Movie and been just as accurate, and possibly made just as much money. Sure, there was some wedding stuff and all the other basic ingredients of a Pie movie, but if Seann William Scott really wants to shed the Stifler label, this isn't the way to do it. (Neither is the upcoming movie where he shares the screen with The Rock and Christopher Walken, which I saw in the previews.)

If you liked the Pie movies, you'll like this one. I laughed a lot, and yet at times I felt bad at myself for laughing so much at such a bad movie. It was entertaining enough, but there were some huge plot holes and time continuity issues that were hard for me to reconcile. The biggest issue was dealing with bride's parents. It seems like they were from out of town (or else why would they be staying at Jim's place?) yet the couple met in high school. Sure, they could've moved away, but it doesn't seem right. There were also some major questions about how things progressed from engagement to wedding plans to wedding. But then again, given who's doing this movie, it seems like they have few clues about how this stuff usually goes down. Besides, as I said before, it was just a platform for Stifler to do his thing.

One of these days, I'll actually see a good summer movie, but that may be a while.

No comments: