Saturday, August 30, 2003

Pigskin overload
I'm surprised my brain hasn't exploded yet after flipping through tons of college football games, not to mention the U.S. Open. And with no NFL games this weekend, there's even more of it coming up. I wonder if my mind can take it all in.

Here are some other thoughts from the first bit of action:
-- I'm happy that Comcast Sports Southeast is picking up the Big Ten ESPN Plus package. As much as I like to listen to Northwestern games on WGN Radio, I'd like to actually see a few games without having to force myself to a sports bar. With the way the Cats could be this year, I expect a lot of those ESPN Plus games this season.
-- Speaking of TV, I think the cameramen and directors are still getting used to game action. There have been too many instances where cameras have expected playaction passes only to have it be a run.
-- What's up with the one-tone uniforms? I like some contrast between pants and shirts in football. I'm seeing it with FSU-UNC right now, although white (FSU) and Carolina blue (UNC) isn't too bad. But the all-orange ensemble Illinois was sporting was pretty nasty. And don't get me started on Oregon's space-age pajamas.
-- ABC's regional coverage of games is definitely a double-edged sword. It's good to appease different regions with games featuring local teams, but when there's an obvious national game of interest, it can be aggravating as a "national" fan or a transplant from somewhere else to see a somewhat "lesser" game. Tonight, Ohio State-Washington is on almost everywhere in the country, but since we're in ACC country, we're getting Florida State-North Carolina. It's happened a few times last year when a good Big 12 or Big Ten gets bumped here in favor of Georgia Tech-Clemson, for instance. Maybe when the "new" ACC forms next year will there be some better games on the board (or at least not feel so bad for missing out on a big game).

No comments: