Monday, August 04, 2003

The trash report
I guess Viva TRASH Vegas may had a role in this, but this weekend's trash double play (Muck Masters and the Burns) both saw sharp decreases in attendance, which was slightly disappointing. However, it still was able to produce enough decent questions to play on both in Ann Arbor and Chattanooga. Even better was winning yet another Steinhice tournament as Finding Nimoy came away with the title in a small but very competitive field. (I suppose the offshoot of fewer teams/players is that the good ones still come out.) Plus, it was fun to play with a couple of the Emory folks for the first time ever. There are still some others out there I'm surprised I've never teamed with for a tournament (some of you know who would be on the list) -- some day, some day.

One thing, though, that rankles me is people saying I have an inherent advantage in some of these tournaments because I work in sports news. I especially got annoyed with the "shenanigans" comment that came up as our team was answering a sports bonus (and he wonders why I actually got pissed at him when he gloated over a victory over our team). Does my job help in getting questions? Absolutely. But then again to get the job to begin with, you really do need good knowledge of the stuff, it's only natural. However, I know enough people who are not in the business but would also know the stuff because they also devour it. And when it comes to marginal stuff like arena football, tennis or anything not of the major sports, I can get a lot of it because I actually care about most of it, at least tangentially. And very few people I work with can say that.

No comments: