Sunday, July 18, 2004

Nostalgia overload
I've watched most of I Love the '90s, which has proved once again it's TV's version of junk food -- it's not all the enriching, but it's damn entertaining and you see if you can resist watching it when it comes on. However, it does suffer a tad compared to the previous incarnations, but that shouldn't be a surprise when some of the stuff they're reminiscing is barely old enough to be nostalgic, but not necessarily snarky, about. But, I do think they did a great job incorporating '90s music within the segments -- possibly the best of the four series. That did the best job of triggering the nostalgia more than most of the segments on pop culture.
 
Triggering the nostalgia in me is a lot stranger in the '90s, compared to the '80s shows or the '70s. I was a child of the '80s, so both sets of series were a fun look at my childhood. While I was born in the '70s and had a smattering of memories from then, there's enough of a disconnect that it's fine to look at things ironically and still be entertained.
 
But in the '90s, I can actually point to a number of years and think of important things happening in my life that it wasn't always all about pop culture. My '90s include most of high school, all of college, and the beginning of adulthood and the "real world." I seemed to "live" all of this, and some of it even seemed to live in the background.
 
It's fine to see some of the regular panelists back, what's up with all the second bananas offering their insights? Instead of Blossom, you get Six (not that I'm complaining there); no Jennifer Love Hewitt or Neve Campbell, but Lacey Chabert (again, no complaints); A.J. Langer instead of Claire Danes; Dean instead of either Gilmore Girl; Rachel Bilson instead of Adam Brody or Mischa Barton; Gunther instead of any of the Friends (he's the only regular from the show who's not acclaimed enough to think this stuff is beneath him); the list goes on and on.
 
There are a couple of entries off the top of my head that really make me go hmmm ...
--What in the world are Zubaz pants doing in 1996? Those things were long out of style by then. I can remember owning a Zubaz hat while I was in high school, not to mention those Arena Football teams with Zubaz uniforms.
--I was amused to see a full segment on Office Space as it proved that some memories are shaped long after the fact. The movie was a bust when it first came out in 1999 (I can remember it being in the theaters for about two weeks in that dead zone in February), but it wouldn't be for another year or so after it ended up on video that it would gain all its momentum as a pop cultural phenomenon -- after the '90s were over.
--Y2K was obviously right at the end of '99, but they also were able to sneak in John Rocker, whose infamous comments appeared the final week of the year.
--I'm sure there's more out there. Feel free to add your own, not to mention stuff that was missing, warped, etc.


No comments: