Wednesday, July 14, 2004

One milllllllion dollars!
As mentioned before, here's the article my friend Rodney wrote in the AJC about the Ken Jennings phenomenon. It actually looks a lot better in the paper because the article included a graphic of six of the Final Jeopardy clues during his run. And as for his breaking the $1 million mark -- it was a tad anticlimactic since he got the question wrong (although I got it right sitting at home) -- but entering Final Jeopardy with $46,000 is absolutely ridiculous.

This now means I know of three people with quizbowl connections who have broken $1 million on game shows. And to think, I was kidding around on my Weakest Link application that I wanted to use the money I might've won on creating a program that helped feed contestants to different game shows -- I guess we've already had it to begin with.

Speaking of Weakest Link, BBC America is now showing the British version of the game. There was a share of British-centric questions (what county or country some lesser-known landmarks are located, some British TV shows, a few rugby and cricket rules questions), but there also was a surprising abundance of U.S. geography and movie questions. It will still be a challenge for any American playing along, but you'd be surprised how well you could do.

No comments: