Friday, March 17, 2006

I won't go into great lenghts over my brackets. Picked a few upsets (UW-Milwaukee, Texas A&M), just missed a couple (San Diego State, Winthrop [depending on the entry]), had scares with Final Four teams (BC, Gonzaga -- damn Jesuits). And I'm still alive with Bucknell in the Sweet 16.

(Oh yeah, it's still disconcerting hearing Verne Lundquist referring to today's big upset winner as Northwestern and not Northwestern State. Heck, so now we've both beaten Iowa this season.)

What is interesting, at least at home watching it during the day, is that my cable company is taking advantage of the extra digital channels to provide four feeds of games at any one point -- which is excellent for yesterday and today. Unfortunately, one of the channels is HD-only, which locks me out of one channel, but I still can get three at once for no extra charge. (Although given the price of my cable, I'd better get some value for it.)

Of course, while it's fun watching all these games, seeing the same ads over and over again can get a bit annoying:
-- First off, the in-game promos by the announcers for this show are amusing since no one can pronounce the star's name correctly.
-- Secondly, after watching the same Applebee's ad over and over again, my one thought is: So how many members of the Gilligan's Island cast are still alive? And are they as annoyed hearing that jingle over and over again as I am. That ad campaign actually has me longing for baby back ribs.
-- Voiced-over cell phone ads are fine. The ones with people acting in it have me looking for the phone with the "theft deterrent system."

No comments: