Friday, May 04, 2007

Fitting into the puzzle

As much as I hate to admit, I'm very clingy to my past, and staying true/close to the alma mater is one major aspect of that. I've gone to my fair share of alumni events both in Atlanta and New York, and even represented the school at a college fair the other day. (By the way, thanks to the high school who put us next to another purple-clad college. And if this school that fit alphabetically were there, it would've been chaos.)

Anyways, so I ended up at a young alumni function in the city and realized just exactly so large a base the New York area has. People were impressed with the 200-plus folks there, and yet I only recognized about 10-15 faces, and half of them were from people I've met long after I left school. I know there are tons of people in the area, yet none were there. Strange, but not surprising.

But as these things usually go, I found someone I hadn't seen in 10-plus years and reconnected very well -- having some unique connections beyond just the typical school stuff will do that. Of course, stumbling our way to some tangential Cinco de Mayo celebrations helped make the evening.

No comments: