Monday, May 28, 2007

The Windy Apple

Back from a quick trip to Chicago for the NAQT High School NCT, which is just another good excuse to see some old quizbowl friends and faces from years past while also reading rounds in cramped hotel rooms (although I did get a nice suite for day 2). I'm always impressed by the level of play here, especially since I'd be toast on a lot of the stuff although there's always a few non-trash questions here and there that I know that the others don't. It's also fun being recognized by some of the teams as one guy said, "the awesome reader." I just do what I do, but then again I guess I just take my job for granted.

Unfortunately the rain washed out any chance of going to Dillo Day, but I did get out to Evanston on Friday afternoon and forgot exactly how long it takes to get from the O'Hare area to the campus via the El. The two-hour ride each way was about as long as my flight. Still, I did get to see a downtown Evanston that looks so much different from the last time I was there about 3-4 years ago -- yet I did stop by a couple of the few businesses that were around when I was there, Clarke's and Campus Gear. Hopefully I'll get more time to see the campus later this year.

A couple of additional travel notes: United is the latest to jump on the XM bandwagon, although it's a very limited selection and you don't get the program info like AirTran's fuller version of the service. But there were current season episodes of 30 Rock and The Office, so that was fine.

No comments: