Tuesday, August 06, 2002

Escape from Chattanooga
Another week, another quizbowl tournament up in Chattanooga. I had a blast at Muck Masters, although I failed to defend my title from last year despite a much stronger supporting cast that ended up going 10-0 in the preliminaries. Lost in the semis to the eventual champs in one of the more thrilling matches I've ever played in. We were down 240-40 at the half, then stormed back to score 250 consecutive points to take the lead before allowing them to take the last three tossups -- on things I knew pretty well -- and the victory. Otherwise, it was plenty of routs throughout the day. Can't complain about the single-elim format since my teams have won twice up there as 3 seeds; guess it works the other way as well -- it was a 5 vs. 6 (out of eight playoff teams) for the title. Seemed like one of those conference tournaments in March.

Anyways, enough babble from here. I'll be spotty (like I hadn't been already) for most of this week as I'll be in Dallas for the AAJA National Convention. Maybe I'll update from Texas if I'm in the mood. We shall see.

No comments: