Friday, August 16, 2002

I've been less than motivated to blog lately for a variety of reasons, but when some good nuggets come up, I can't resist the temptation. So here goes:

-- I suppose we should feel relieved that there's a two-week window before a possible strike. However, we all know how people work with a deadline -- nothing until just before d-day. I'm a huge baseball fan but if they're wondering about timing with regards to fans, well, college football will have already started and the NFL is right around the corner. We'd be more sympathetic in July and August when we need something to do during the summer.

I won't bother getting into the "national pastime" stuff -- I think I tend to think/skew older than I really am, so I buy into the tradition and nostalgia (and not just because it looks good). And if baseball is on strike during the 9/11 anniversary, so be it. The players aren't thinking about the here and now, they're thinking about later on, and screw records or some anniversary. It's just business.

-- I'm knee deep in fantasy football stuff. The results of the QB Football League draft have to be seen to be believed. Or maybe it's just weird because I've done so many damn drafts that all seem to be pretty similar in terms of strategy because we're all dealing with a similar template. Maybe it will go closer to normal at another draft tomorrow.

-- For a change of pace on that, though, check out the fun story arc in the comic strip "Zits" on fantasy football -- emphasis on fantasy. It's at least different from the variety of NCAA-style tournament brackets out there.

-- I've done the drive on I-57 from Chicago to Champaign once while in college, but never really paid a whole lot of attention to what's out there. I guess there isn't much, but here are the highlights for Bears fans needing to make the trip for home games this season, plus stuff on shortcuts, speed traps and radio stations.

No comments: