Thursday, August 29, 2002

Net gains
It took me a day, but I'm now into U.S. Open mode, as I usually am at this time of year. It's definitely my favorite grand slam tennis event. However, I was bit excited yet disturbed to hear the old ECW theme music being used to promote an Andy Roddick match.

A disappointing part of Anna Kournikova's loss was that she was playing better leading up to the Open. No matter -- she's now part of many tennis fans' dream team with Martina Hingis (welcome back, although what in the world was Sergio Garcia wearing in the crowd).

A few other notes about the women's game. (The men's game is a bit dull for me to comment at this point):
--I'm surprised there hasn't been as much Anna-like attention lavished on Jelena Dokic (although it sounds like she's getting there, at least according to some of my colleagues). Her loss was rather disappointing to some admirers. However, I can't help but think she's just a curvier version of Mena Suvari (who I think is rather overrated).
--Let's not go overboard in trying to paint Ashley Harkleroad as another Anna. Sure, she's cute and she's got game. But let everything develop before trotting out the PR machine. She's only 17. At least this year she was appropriately dressed, as opposed to last year's outfits.

No comments: