Saturday, January 11, 2003

One billion strong and growing
I guess it's only fitting that the overblown Shaq-Yao comments story would come out the day I actually see Yao in action. First off, I was stunned to see two diehard Hawks fans in the stands -- I didn't think they actually existed. However, one of them was sitting directly behind me and pretty much throwing out Asian slurs and other stuff of that ilk while ripping on Yao (fine, the Hawks kept him bottled up for the most part) as well as the large throngs of Asian fans that came out to the game (I didn't stick out as much usual) and make Philips Arena at least look a little less empty. I kept my mouth shut and didn't bother turning around -- no need to start up anything -- although my friend, who's Chinese-American considered doing something but figured better of it as well. I don't think it would've bothered me that much had the guy sounded like Shaq or a Sportscenter anchor -- just some cringing if it's a bad pun. I got a bit annoyed since the guy had that redneck voice that made things sound much worse than it probably should've been, like he's never seen Asian people before. Plus, he ripped a ref for having an Asian wife, what the hell is that about?

As for Shaq's comments, he was just trying to be funny, knowing the way he is. Sometimes he hits, sometimes he misses. No big deal. Sometimes I wonder if some Asians now are trying a bit too hard in protesting anything that may joke about the people or culture, trying to make up for all the lack of action of years ago. African-Americans and other minorities sometimes lots of pressure over racist depictions and undertones, and Asians hadn't for a long time, so this is the time to strike back (like the AsianWeek reporter). I usually don't mind the joking and silly stuff like that (ex. Abercrombie and Fitch). Oddly enough for me, I'm more troubled when the uneducated keep using the slurs (much like the guy at the Hawks game) as opposed to the learned and powerful, working on the assumption that the elite have others around them to tell them when they're wrong and seem genuine (think Trent Lott, I guess). The others won't really learn, don't intend to, and could cause trouble to those trying to change ways or just point things out.

Oh yeah, while Yao didn't play well, I got the biggest kick out of his getting a technical after doing some trash talking following a big dunk. Although this happened one play after Theo Ratliff rattled everyone with a crazy dunk off a missed shot.

No comments: