Saturday, May 25, 2002

A couple of thoughts over hot, fresh Krispy Kremes (sometimes it's hard to resist stopping by the 24-hour Krispy Kreme between the office and home) ...

For some reason I heard Cracker's "Low" on the all-purpose rock station and the alt-rock station here within seconds of each other. I heard "Low" on the first station then changed channels when it ended. I turned on the second station and thought I had made a mistake. Nope. Very strange, considering it was about 3 a.m. and it involved a relatively minor hit from 1993 that is still getting lots of radio play here. (Granted, I like the song, and it was something I heard a lot of in college, but still ...)

For something completely different, I wonder if I'm getting very complacent in being single. While I thought I was like Hugh Grant's character in "About a Boy," one major thing is different -- I'm not cut out for dating lots of women for short periods of time. Instead, I think I'm good at building up strong friendships/relationships with women -- unfortunately none really going anywhere.

That usually doesn't stop me from hoping for/working on something more substantial -- as is the case with a couple of close girl friends (note the space) in my life. However, for some reason I'm feeling very detached to both of them right now -- surprisingly right after doing mix CDs for both of them. I still like them a lot, but unlike before where I was afraid to show my interest, I find myself gravitating away from them and not towards anyone -- just some free-floating away into an emptiness. Maybe it's just another aspect of my fear of rejection manifesting itself in a harsher way. I don't know, but I am trying my best to get everything rekindled.

No comments: