Thursday, May 23, 2002

OK, I'm a pretty big homer for my alma mater, but even the most jaded of college students will probably find this rant a little bit much. Sure, many people like to complain about what school they go to -- the administration, the bureaucracy, etc. As long as you got a quality education (and hopefully a good job) out of your time, that should suffice and thus make the huge investment into the school worth it. (That's any school, not just Northwestern).

I've always felt complaining about a bad social life on campus is silly. I didn't have much of one, but that's the way I was. I developed my own circle of friends; they just happened not to be the partying type. Your social happiness is what you make of it. There were plenty of parties on campus, you just had to find it. Of course, she also said she lived her freshman year at the Foster-Walker Complex (all singles, very much apart from everyone) -- you just had to try much harder.

What gets me here is that she said she never really wanted to go to NU. She wanted to go to Stanford instead. Fine. Then why did you spend four years here? If you were that miserable off the bat, get out as soon as you could. No one would've begrudged you. Sometimes, people aren't the right fit for a school, and find some place else to go where they're comfortable. Stop stewing and do something about it. I guess she is just preparing herself for the real world where whining is a prerequisite to holding many jobs.

Finally, she bemoans the lack of minorities and those on campus aren't "down with the brown." I guess this is one thing that bothered me a lot hearing about race relations and minorities while I was there. I kept a very mixed company at school, and yes it looked weird when we all were hanging out together. But maybe that's because I was more comfortable around all sorts of people as opposed to just being around Asians (in my case).

Then again, I was always a bit more comfortable being around primarily white students mainly because I think I fit in better, oddly enough. But that's probably because I didn't speak Tagalog -- I was raised to speak English. So while other Filipino people were speaking Tagalog, I had no idea what was going on. But I did know what the white kids were saying and thus felt more at ease. I think I took that all through school. If I happened to be friends with Asians, great. If not, no big deal. I didn't gravitate one way or another. And while I am part of the Asian American Journalists Association, I look at that as a professional organization -- I'm not basing my social life on it. There's definitely nothing wrong about being proud of your heritage (and I really am), but some people just reflect it different than other people.

No comments: