Monday, May 20, 2002

Oh. My. Heck.
I may have been one of the few rooting for either Paschal or Neleh to win the latest Survivor, but I'm happy to see Vecepia win it. Yet again, another "fly under the radar" player takes the $1,000,000 prize. Everyone knows the Richard Hatch strategy from the original show, and it'll be hard for anyone to try that technique in the future.
Kathy was probably the best player of them all, but hey, I'm a bit shallow, and wanted to see the cute girl win it. This after local guy Paschal got the short end of the stick in the rock, rock, goose game to determine who got booted off. (Oh the many ways Mark Burnett can make this game that much more bizarre. It even sparked controversy on the local news as they milked the finale for all it's worth.)

The reunion special was actually a lot of fun for the first time because superfan Rosie O'Donnell hosted the show instead of Bryant Gumbel having to do his CBS duty. She could still get to the bottom of a bunch of things, but you could tell she actually cared about and liked these folks. Plus, you got to see the survivors looking a lot better instead of emaciated after weeks out in the wilderness. (Paschal and Neleh especially looked a ton better.)

Honestly, I'm surprised to see the show running as strong as it has. But then again, CBS has done a good job in not running it into the ground (see WWTBAM and Weakest Link), despite the constant Letterman and Early Show appearances. And as long as they pick enough attractive folks for the show, I'll watch. I will be a bit at odds again next fall since it will be up against Scrubs -- a show I've yet to watch much of but really want to. Hell, it stars a guy from my graduating class at Northwestern. (Granted I had no idea who he was until the show started.)

No comments: