Thursday, July 25, 2002

Assorted movie reflections
I felt like I stumbled into something good when Wet Hot American Summer ended up on Starz the other day. Unfortunately, I was pretty disappointed. I guess it could've been funnier, and I could relate somewhat to the characters, but something just didn't click despite all the decent actors in it. Maybe it was a bit too sprawling for its own good. Maybe it could've been slightly raunchier given the general plot. I don't know. I've never been a big fan of Owen Gleiberman, and his review in Entertainment Weekly may have shown how much we disagreed on the movie.

It took me a while to figure out who Ms. Alias was when watching Pearl Harbor before realizing she was the somewhat dorky looking nurse with the glasses. Definitely not the most flattering look for her, although I suppose it was a slightly better role than that in Dude, Where's My Car? Oh well, then again, I sat through the cool but somewhat overwrought explosions and whatever hideous accents Josh Hartnett and Ben Affleck had to further affirm how much I'm a fan of Kate Beckinsale.

On the other hand, I picked up the DVD for UHF and found that very entertaining, especially with the audio commentary. It's a silly movie for sure, but still holds up for camp value. It was amusing hearing Weird Al rattle off addresses of places in Tulsa where they shot different scenes. It helps being a big Weird Al fan to begin with.

No comments: