Wednesday, July 24, 2002

Even for a struggling network like ABC, you have to do your best to keep your funniest people away from some of the rest of the talent, as these stories concerning Drew Carey, Jimmy Kimmel and The Bachelor folks can attest.

On a related note, it looks like they're doing their best to get me to watch the Emmys after naming Conan O'Brien as host. To think how far he's come since those awfully awkward first shows that happened to coincide with my first days of college.

Steve Earle always seemed to me a bit off the mainstream path, so it's not surprising his new song about John Walker Lindh is drawing boos in Nashville, especially. Although it probably will play a little bit better with the "alternative" set, I'd imagine. In any case, it will probably feel ridiculously dated in a few years, but those are the breaks. It doesn't take away from the fact he's a pretty good musician/songwriter.

On the topic of music, I guess I'll throw my vote for "Hot in Herre" by Nelly as this year's top summer song, just nudging out the also-infectious "Without Me" by Eminem, although it's odd to hear the latter getting tons of airplay on the local alterna-rock station here.

No comments: